Battlepanda: PZ Myers on the word "agnostic"

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

PZ Myers on the word "agnostic"

PZ Myers expresses his contempt for the word "agnostic":
I've decided that when I invent my time machine, my first stop is going to be 19th century England, where I shall slap Tom Huxley upside the head and tell him that he's being a waffling coward by inventing a word that's going to paralyze freethinkers for the next 150 years or more.
Speaking of time machines, I've got a bleg for the collective. At my elementary school, we used a series of reading comprehension workbooks in the 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. Here's what I remember about them: (1) they were, I believe, published by Economy; (2) the 6th grade reader was entitled "The Dopplegang"; (3) the 5th grade reader was about a group of kids who were friends with a scientist who had invented a time machine that was shaped like a pumpkin.

I loved that 5th grade workbook. Can anyone tell me what it was called? I'm hoping to find a copy of it.

UPDATE: Thomas Knapp of Kn@ppster provided the clue I needed in comments. I should have been searching for "The Dopple Gang," not "The Dopplegang." That led me to find the titles of the 4th and 5th grade volumes: The Kickingbird Kids' Book Factory and The Scratch Papers. The name of the scientist with the time machine was Professor Scratch.

Now if I can get my hands on a copy, I can do some childhood nostalgia bookblogging!