Battlepanda: Five books I should really read

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Five books I should really read

Having been passed the meme from the Ethical Werewolf, I now have to reveal the five books I've been most meaning to read, but haven't yet. In no particular order...

1) The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
I wonder if I'm violating the spirit, if not the letter, of the meme by putting this in the list, since I'm reading it right now. But as I'm on 75 pages in, and by no means of assured of actually finishing the thing, I think it's fair.

2) Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
This is the book that people who know about my likes and dislikes in books often recommend to me. I also liked Diamond's subsequent book, Collapse, a lot. So I don' know why it's taking me so long to get around to it.

3) The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker
Or The Language Instinct or even How the Mind Works, if I'm really feeling ambitious.

4) The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes
As my outlook on economics is best described as Keynesian, eventually I should actually read the man's work.

5) Something by John Kenneth Galbraith
I don't know what, but ever since reading the review of the new John Kenneth Galbraith biography by Brad DeLong, I have been intrigued by Galbaith and his ideas. Maybe The Great Crash 1929 would be a good place to start, since it is an area of history I'm also curious about. Perhaps somebody would tell me whether, since his writings seem to be short, it is better to buy the anthology of his work.

Who to pass the meme on to? How about John Emerson, John from Dymaxion World, and Publius of Legal Fiction? Apologies if any of you guys are tagged already, I'm abroad and consequently hardly able to keep up with the blogs! It's simple...just name five books you most need to read, but somehow haven't gotten around to yet.