Battlepanda: Happy Birthday to me

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Happy Birthday to me

I'm twenty-five today.

I don't know how I feel about that. In terms of career/academic achievements, I'm way behind my cohorts, what only a bachelors degree and working only shit jobs intermittently since graduation. But I feel like if one could keep track of more intangible signs of growth like intellectual maturity, better social skills and increased happiness, I probably did better by myself in the last couple of years than I did during college.

As always, my problem is a lack of direction. If only there is an option in life where one can specialize in being a beginner in everything, I'd do great. This is one of the reasons why I loved Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell so much. Jonathan Strange is a character that gives hope to dilettantes like me, that one day I too will find that something that I can be passionate about and make my life's work after a misspent youth flitting from one interest to another.

Hopefully, I'll find it someday soon.