Battlepanda: In praise of Indie Bands

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

In praise of Indie Bands

Indie musicians, who likely aren't rolling around in dough, are nevertheless turning down $50,000 checks for using their music in Hummer commercials. Good for them, although I don't know what I would do in their position. I don't like Hummers, but I don't think I would be hurting sales significantly by turning down the deal since they would simply offer the same deal to another band with similar qualities -- I don't think it will take long before somebody takes their $50,000.

It's curious though -- are the Hummer people seriously trying to go after the Indie-music crowd? It seems so incongrous, frankly it smacks of desperation.

(HT Dymaxion World)