Battlepanda: Wal-Mart to carry emergency contraception

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Wal-Mart to carry emergency contraception

I'm not a Wal-Mart hater, but many of my fellow liberals are, so I think it's appropriate that we give them credit when it's due.

Wal-Mart today announced that it will begin carrying emergency contraception at all of its pharmacies. Previously, Wal-Mart only carried EC in Illinois and Massachusetts, where it was required to by law.

I can't praise Wal-Mart too much, however. They will maintain their "conscientious objection" policy, allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill EC prescriptions if they refer the customer to another pharmacist or pharmacy. I'd much rather see Wal-Mart switch to a "do your damn job or get another one" policy.

But still, kudos to Wal-Mart for this move.