Battlepanda: Why the hatred for Starbucks?

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Why the hatred for Starbucks?

After writing my long pro-minimum wage Anti-Galt-ite screed below, I think maybe it's time to piss off some people on my "side", especially the coffee purists. There is simply no good basis for all the Starbucks-hatred people exhibit. It's a socially-responsible company that probably does a lot better by its employers than many of the hipper, smaller, independent coffee stores. Yes, it is humungous and homogenous -- but that's one of the things that I find encouraging about it. Companies like Starbucks and Costco and Ikea are demonstrating an alternative paradigm to success that involves treating staff decently and delivering a superior product as opposed to the Wal-mart paradigm. Jean quotes the best bits and sums up this Economist article quite well.

(Despite my approval for Starbucks as a company, I personally stay the hell away from any place that charges me $4 for coffee. I'm more of a tea person. Personally, I think it is quite mad that people pay $4 for lattes when a quarter pound of the finest Lapsang Souchong tea (marketed as 'Hu Kwa' by Mark T Wendell) costs barely twice that. And for something truly out of this world, get yourself some Taiwanese Oolong.)