Battlepanda: What's capitalism got to do with it?

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

What's capitalism got to do with it?

Make no mistake, Amanda is a top blogger and I enjoy her post immensely. She incisive and funny and goes for the jugular in her critiques of pop culture. However, I really don't understand what capitalism has to do with the lad-lit classic, High Fidelity. I haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie, and it's about a guy and his hangups and old girlfriends. Not about a guy and his relationship with the socioeconomic arrangement of the world.

I don't know. I get uncomfortable when Amanda casually condemns "the capitalist system" while drawing on poorly-developed female characters as evidence. Yes, it's a crying shame that there are not more three dimensional female characters out there. However, this is a cultural problem, not so much a problem with an economic system. We may live in a patriarchal capitalist system. This does not mean that capitalism is an outgrowth of patriarchy.

Not that I think there are no problems with the way our economy is set up. But I do think that we need to keep problems in seperate spheres kind of...separate.