Battlepanda: Meet Xellessanova Zenith

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Meet Xellessanova Zenith

I posted about Second Life tangentially here. I don't think it's really on the radar of most folks in the political blogisphere (except perhaps for Mark Warner's Second Life appearance.) But make no mistake, it's a growing phenomenon with the potential not just to be another game that comes, gains popularity and goes, but some kind of a paradigm-making breakthrough (and yes, I did hate myself just a little for writing the previous three words.)

For an example of the possibility out there, meet Xellessanova Zenith.

"Ms. Zenith" is a college friend of mine. Except of course back in college she did not used to walk around holding skulls while sporting slinky eveningwear and talon-like nails. I mean, she might have like to. I don't know. But it would have been ridiculous. But in Second Life, that's just the kind of gal she is.

This is a PDF copy of the in-world magazine she has helped make. The website of the magazine is here, but frankly I found the PDF form much more professional and interesting.


I think we can tentatively file this under "everything they predicted about the future came true, but in a completely unexpected way." For those like my friend, who immerses herself in Second Life for up to eight hours a day (yes, I do worry a bit about her), virtual reality is already here. Except it's got nothing to do with wraparound visual monitors and gloves with sensors so that you can pick things up and put them down somewhere else.