Battlepanda: Retroactive anonymity

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Retroactive anonymity

Those of you (if any) who clicked through to the article I linked to in my previous post and read the byline might find a surprise.

In the light of my change of employment, I've decided that it would be prudent to start blogging "anonymously". Obviously, you don't have to tell me that this is nothing more than a fig leaf, and a slender one at that. Not only do y'all know who I am, but the google cache is there forever. But I don't want to stop writing about Taiwan-related issues in an opinionated manner and I don't want to get in trouble. So here's my extremely half-assed compromise. I might also stick one of "These be personal statements not reflecting the views of my employer" statements in ol' sidebar at some point.

So, do I regret blogging non-anonymously? Yes and no. Yes, because then I wouldn't have to do this ridiculous tapdance now. But on a deeper level, no. I think real-name blogging keeps people honest -- you know you're accountable for what you write on a deeper level even after you turn off that laptop.