Battlepanda: Sunday Book Blogging

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Sunday Book Blogging

I just finished "The life of Pi" last night. It reminded me a lot of The Little Prince, but a lot heavier on the magical realism and meditations on religion. I was skeptical at first about the conceit (boy stuck in lifeboat with 500lb. Bengal Tiger), but the imaginative solidity of the storytelling overcame my doubts. I recommend it as life-affirming light reading, knowing that some of you would probably find it too cute.

(I listened to it as an audiobook, by the way. I need a steady stream of audiobooks to listen to in the 30 minutes to 2 hours it regularly takes me to fall asleep. I wonder how many other bloggers are insomniacs.)

In non-audio reading news, I had wanted to get on with "Founding Brothers", as I had be going on a bit of an early American history kick lately. But yesterday I went to a cookout and our host was a civil war buff. We got to talking about his collection. I remarked that I've heard good things about Michael Shaara's "The Killer Angels", upon which he insisted on lending me his copy. I thought I'd just flip through it this morning, and now I'm completely sucked in. "Founding Brothers" will have to wait.