Battlepanda: Indictments on the way? Tomorrow?!!

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Indictments on the way? Tomorrow?!!

That's what I've just read on the internets anyways, according to some blogs. I'm doing my best to tamp down my excitement in the event of an anti-climax, but it's really tough not to be a little giddy at the prospect.

As Angelica will tell you, I've been unnaturally fixated on the Plame affair since the investigation really started ramping up over the summer. Among the current GOP scandals, this kind of has a special status for me. Am I glad that Tom Delay's mendacity and corruption are catching up with him? Yes. Do I revel in watching Bill Frist squirm as his stock holdings go under the microscope? Sure. Am I speaking in rhetorical questions and then answering them like Donald Rumsfeld? You bet!

Watching Fitzgerald's investigation progress is satisfying in such a different way, though. Money laundering, insider trading, crooked deals with lobbyists and the like, while very serious indeed, are ( and I hate to put it this way) kind of routine in the American politics. The Plame affair, on the other hand, is a far graver matter. You have an administration using battered-spouse mentality (" 9-11! 9-11! Remember 9-11!") to work the country into a lather for an unnecessary war, and then use their lapdogs in the press to expose a CIA non-official cover, someone who was actually doing the legwork on the WMD issue, to put a hurt on a political opponent who was calling them on their B.S. and put a chill in the air for anyone else who might be tempted to do the same. It burns me up to think the people America put in office would commit such a wanton abuse of the public trust, and compromise our national security to serve their own ends.

It is gratifying to imagine that justice can still be served in America.