Battlepanda: Hello, World!

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Hello, World!

Many thanks to Angelica and Gene for inviting me to co-blog with them.

For those of you who don't know me from my former blog-homes, Dark Bilious Vapors and Signifying Nothing, I'm Brock.

A bit about me:

I live in Midtown Memphis, TN. The best thing about Memphis is WYPL, which plays Memphis music nightly from 8 to midnight.

I'm a professional all-purpose computer geek (Unix/Linux sysadmin, Informix/MySQL database administrator, and perl programmer).

I attended Rhodes College as an undergrad, and the University of Rochester as a grad student. I dropped out of a PhD program in philosophy when the funding ran out. A bit of my philosophical genealogy: W.V. Quine->David Lewis->Philip Bricker->Ted Sider->me. That's a pretty respectible pedigree.

My politics: liberal (of course), pro-trade, pro-immigration, pro-choice, and pro-vice.

I'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger and Philosophies of Mathematics by Alexander George and Daniel Velleman.

My latest hobby is postcard collecting via Postcrossing. I've started a postcard blog, Postlude, with scans of the postcards I've received.

What to expect from me here: snarky liberal politics, occasional philosophical musings, and stuff that strikes my fancy. And maybe some cat pictures.

But first, in keeping with the panda theme, here's a picture of Le Le from the Memphis Zoo, munching on some bamboo. (I'm not sure whether my wife took this one or I did.)