Battlepanda: The temptation of John

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

The temptation of John

I know I can relate to this moment of indecision...
Me, last night: Ah, supermarket, show me what you have on sale. For I am poor, yet require sustenance. I shall proceed to the meat aisle.

Meat aisle: Poor student, I have a surprise for you! Steak at a serious discount!

Me: Goodness gracious! That is a serious discount indeed. But this word "clearance" troubles me. Should meat be sold at "clearance", in this age of avian flu and mad cow disease?

Meat aisle: Listen, do you want steak or not? You think you can buy a $3 t-bone any day you want? TAKE IT ALREADY!

Me: I am uncertain...

Meat aisle: SHUT UP AND BUY THE MEAT!! YOU KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO!!! STOP WASTING MY TIME!!!!

Me: Don't hurt me, meat aisle! Here, I'll take two!

Meat aisle: Glad that's settled. Stop by the produce and pick up some potatoes while you're at it.

Me: Yes sir.

In case you wonder whether John is still with us, he is. After cooking the steaks very well indeed. Now the question is, really, whether steak cooked well-done is really worth $3.

(By the way, John. I left comments at your blog, but they didn't show up. What's up with that?)