Battlepanda: In which I out myself as a reality TV junkie

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

In which I out myself as a reality TV junkie

I really miss British reality TV. I'm not saying that it's higher-class or more sophisticated than American reality TV, quite the opposite. I love it because it's kickier, riskier, much more shocking. They are quite up from about their sadism. I've previously talked about Risking it All, where the participant selection process seems determined to seek out those starting small businesses who are most likely to crash and burn. While American shows like "Mission Organization" is very careful about choosing securely upper-middle class nuclear families with one clearly defined problem (in this case, clutter), Kim and Aggie of "How Clean is Your House" go where the mess is -- whether its a single mum with a compulsion for keeping ill-covered cups of bacon grease in the fridge or the outwardly successful banker who still sleeps in an old sleeping bag and nevers takes out the empty cans of dog food from his kitchen.

This is all a round-about way of saying I want to watch this show. It aired yesterday in England:
Under the guise of a motivational seminar and a follow-up documentary, can Derren Brown persuade any of his group of responsible, middle-management businessmen and women to steal £100,000 in an armed robbery? Such is the premise for the most ambitious and challenging of Derren’s specials to date. It’s a look at what little it takes to cross into deviant behaviour and a masterclass in persuasion.
Forget about Survivor. I'm talking about entrapment and a twisted reprise of the Milgrams experiment. If you're going to be exploiting people for cheap entertainment, this is the way to do it.