Battlepanda: Mama Like

Battlepanda

Always trying to figure things out with the minimum of bullshit and the maximum of belligerence.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mama Like

First of all, I'd like to say that I love my iBook G4 and (fingers crossed) don't intend to replace it for many, many, many moons. However, the new MacBook Pro sure looks purty.

Funnily enough, I don't crave the speed or the "graphic bandwidth" (I put it in quotes because I'm not entirely sure what the term even means). But there are several new features built into the MacBook which seems custom-made for a klutz like me -- the magnetic breakaway cord and the sudden motion sensor that detects a fall and protects your data accordingly.

The built in video camera and illuminated keyboards are also nice features.

However, I have words of consolation for poor Ezra, who bought an iBook a mere month before. Think about it this way -- you're getting the best, most perfected model of the iBook line rather than what is in effect the "prototype" of the MacBooks. It might come with a faster processor (a difference you might or might not notice) and lots of new features, but it will also (if history is any guide) come with a whole passel of bugs and un-ironed out faults.

I have a friend who bought one of those jelly-colored first generation clamshell iBooks way back when. She said it was the worst computer she's ever had and put her off Macs for life. I don't know how much continuity there is between that early iBook and my iBook G4, but the contrast in reliability is night-and-day. The only time my little iBook had to go back to the shop was to get the airport card reseated. And that was probably because the idiot working at my local mac shop didn't install it properly in the first place.

My friend has got a Sony Vaio now, by the way. And she's pretty happy with it.